Microsoft Excel is the most popular spreadsheet application on Microsoft Windows. One of the biggest advantages of using this app vs G Suite or Google Docs is it’s compatibility with older versions of Windows, which make it a perfect choice for those who are still running XP or need to use an old computer at work.
There are a number of ways to open csv files in excel, but the easiest way is by using the “how to open csv file in excel with columns automatically” command. This tool allows users to convert their csv file into an excel spreadsheet with automatic column headers.
Data may be stored in TXT, CSV, and Excel spreadsheet formats (XLS or XLSX). You can convert TXT, CSV, or Excel spreadsheets file types to each other depending on your needs and how you want to utilize and modify the file.
Though there are many online services that provide conversions for such file formats, most of which are free for small files but charge a fee or require a subscription if you want to convert larger or more files, you can do the conversion yourself using Google Sheets – a free spreadsheet service provided by Google – or Microsoft Excel if you have Office 365.
Using Google Sheets or Microsoft Excel, this post will teach you how to convert CSV or TXT to Excel (XLS or XLSX) spreadsheet file format on Windows 11.
TXT, CSV, and Excel are three different types of files.
Before you convert a TXT or CSV file to an Excel spreadsheet, keep in mind that depending on how the data in these files is divided, not all TXT or CSV files are compatible with the conversion. The essential distinctions between TXT, CSV, and XLS spreadsheet file formats are explained briefly here.
The TXT file format is a simple text file that solely includes plain text. In Windows, you may open a TXT file with any text editor, such as Notepad or WordPad. When a TXT file includes spreadsheet data, tab spaces are commonly used to divide the data.
The CSV file format, which stands for Comma Separated Value File, is a sort of spreadsheet data file that is separated by commas. It may also be opened using a text editor like Notepad or a spreadsheet tool like Excel.
The XLS and XLSX file formats are Excel spreadsheet files that can only be opened using spreadsheet programs like Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets, and others. These files may include more complex information than simply basic data, such as data formatting, how data is graphically shown via tables or charts, how data is computed, and so on.
How to Open XLSX or XLS Files on Windows 11 (Related)
Using Google Sheets, convert CSV or TXT files to Excel.
If you have a Google account, you can use Google Sheets, as well as many other Google products, for free. Google Sheets, like any other spreadsheet program, lets you access and modify any spreadsheet file on a web browser without having to install anything. You may also use your Google account to store your spreadsheet files online.
Follow the instructions below to convert a CSV or TXT file to the Excel XLSX file type using Google Sheets.
1. Open https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/ in a web browser (ideally Chrome) and log in to your Google Account if you haven’t already.
2. Select Blank under “Start a new spreadsheet.”
3. In Google Sheets, go to File > Import from the menu bar.
4. In the Import file pop-up, click Upload, then drag and drop your CSV or TXT file into the box that reads “Drag a file here.”
5. Choose a separator type or let Google figure it out for you based on how the data is split in the text or CSV file you wish to import. If your CSV file uses commas to separate data, for example, choose Comma. Select Tab if your text file uses tab spaces to divide data. If your file utilizes a different separator type to separate data, choose Custom.
6. Once your CSV or TXT file is imported into Google Sheets, go to File > Download and pick Microsoft Excel to save it as an Excel spreadsheet (.xlsx). The loaded spreadsheet file in Excel XLSX format will subsequently be downloaded to your local disk by your browser.
The downloaded XLSX Excel file will be saved in your browser’s default download location. In Google Chrome, for example, go to the menu and pick Download, or type chrome:/downloads into the URL bar and hit Enter. All of the files you’ve downloaded using Chrome will be shown on the download page.
Using Microsoft Excel, convert TXT or CSV files to XLS or XLSX files.
If you have Microsoft 365 or Office 365, you may convert your CSV or TXT file to an XLS or XLSX Excel spreadsheet format using Microsoft Excel (Excel app). This is how you do it.
Create a new Blank workbook in the Excel app.
2. On the menu bar, choose Data. Choose Get Data > From File > From Text/CSV from the drop-down menu. To import a TXT or CSV file, go to it.
3. In the following box, you can see how your data will appear in Excel after it has been loaded. Select how the data is split in the text or CSV file from the drop-down option under Delimiter.
If your CSV file uses commas to separate data, for example, choose Comma. Select Tab if your text file uses tab spaces to divide data.
Click Load to load the data into Excel after you’re pleased with the preview.
4. After your data has been imported, select File > Save as > to convert it to XLS, XLSX, or any other spreadsheet format that Excel supports. Navigate to the location where you wish to store the file.
5. Select the kind of spreadsheet format you want to convert the current spreadsheet to by clicking Save as type. Select Excel Workbook, for example, if you wish to save it as an XLSX file (.xlsx). To save the file, click Save.
Because your text or CSV file is not correctly prepared as spreadsheet format, Excel or Google Sheets will not know how to show your data, and it will most likely look screwed up or in a single cell if you use the import option instead of merely File > Open.
Watch This Video-
The “txt to excel converter” is a tool that allows users to convert text files into Excel spreadsheets. This tool is available for Windows 11.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I convert a TXT file to CSV in Excel?
A: Convert the text file to a comma separated values (CSV) file by following these steps. First, copy and paste your data into an empty spreadsheet. Second, select File->Save as CSV.
How do I convert a TXT file to Excel?
A: You can use a program like the free TXT2Excel converter if you want to convert your TXT file into an Excel document.
How do I convert a CSV file to 2020 in Excel?
A: To convert an input file to the 2020 format, you can use the following formula given below. You just need to enter in your data into cells A1-C4 and then insert this formula where it says =B5
- convert text file to excel automatically
- convert excel to csv (comma delimited)
- how to convert csv to excel
- convert txt to csv
- convert csv to excel online